Job Title: EIL Laboratory Manager
Location: Dalian, China
Job Type: Full time
Contact: Prof. Greg Searle
Over many years BP has developed an exceptional relationship with the Dalian Institute of Chemical Physics (DICP) and has a BP Office located in the Institute. This special and valuable relationship is set to grow with the opening of the Energy Innovation Laboratory (EIL) in Q3 2010, a joint collaboration between BP & DICP.
The objective of the EIL is for DICP and BP staff to work together to build a research capability that will develop exciting new thermo-catalytic technologies which have the potential to materially impact BP’s R&M business. To be successful the EIL will need to integrate with BP research facilities in the UK / US and learn how to achieve Chinese research costs while meeting BP safety standards.
The EIL Laboratory Manager is accountable for all resources and facilities in the EIL laboratories that will also include line management of two EIL Research Chemists.
• Act as a Single Point of Accountability (& Responsible) for all laboratories in the EIL.
• Ensure the highest standards of HSSE in the EIL laboratories by promoting and monitoring safe practices for work.
• Line Manager of the EIL Research Chemists running the advance testing equipment.
• With the BP EIL Manager decide/agree a plan for the EIL resources/facilities and where necessary prioritise (i.e. allocation of project resource)
• Where there are shortfalls in resources/equipment work with the BP EIL Manager to develop ideas, calculate the time / financial impact and propose solutions for approval by the BP China Research Manager.
• With the BP EIL Manager monitor, manage and report all the EIL costs to the BP China Research Manager.
• With the BP EIL Manager formulate and implement resource plans for agreed programs to ensure efficient delivery of experimental programs.
• Mentor staff that work in EIL, organise or provide training as necessary. This will also include a training plan for new staff (BP and DICP) which will include a safety induction (specialist training on unit operation will organised by BP)
• Work closely with and connect all groups in the EIL Laboratories on day to day issues.
• Plan/prepare chemicals, gases and consumables for laboratory use
• Provide emergency/holiday cover for unit operation
• Extensive experience of managing laboratories, ideally DICP.
• 5-10 years of relevant work experience in heterogeneous or homogeneous catalyst testing
• Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate at all levels.
• Evidence of strong experimental bias
• Proficient in design and operation of experimental apparatus
• Able to work on your own initiative when situation demands.
• Understand the importance of Intellectual Property (IP)
• PhD level Chemistry (Homogeneous or Heterogeneous Catalysis) or similar chemical engineering background
• English - Fluent (spoken and written)
• Mandarin - Fluent
• Experience of high throughput experimentation
• Experience of Process Development
Note：This is staff position of DICP, and sign contact with DICP instead of BP.